The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Heraclix & Pomp

Heraclix & Pomp - Forrest Aguirre First things first: I need to mention I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Heraclix was a golem (actually Frankenstein monster would be a better description) and Pomp is a fairy. The latter being immortal has practically no understanding of time, so her (it?) POV is told in present tense. The unlikely couple barely escaped from an evil sorcerer who created Heraclix and was about to sacrifice Pomp thus forcing the fairy to think about mortality for the first time in her existence.

Heraclix became very curious about the origins of his body parts and he seems to get some glimpses of the lives of people who became his donors, so he decided to travel across the Middle and Eastern Europe currently in turmoil just like our real Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century in search for some answers. The fairy follows him initially out of gratitude and later for much more personal reasons.

The author describes the genre as weird fantasy, but the book is much closer to fantasy than weird. It also contains a big enough mystery part to qualify for this genre. There are some books that display the love with which they were created; this one is one such love child. It also happened to have an interesting plot which while having not prevented me from getting due sleep at night was not boring at any point and kept me reading this book exclusively without any detours.

I was already familiar with author's writing style from some of his short stories I read before; I expected the same high writing quality as in the stories I mentioned and I was not disappointed. This time Forrest Aguirre's demonstrates his good qualifications in storytelling as well.

In the conclusion my rating would be solid 4 stars. I am not sure is there is a sequel planned at this point, but the book works as a standalone just fine.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/922930/a-love-child-of-an-author-writing-in-weird-fantasy-genre