Gene

Gene

Farewell, My Lovely

Farewell, My Lovely - Raymond Chandler During a boring routine case Philip Marlowe stumbles upon a huge (really huge) guy dressed the way which would make any peacock die of jealousy. He seems to be looking for a long-lost girlfriend doing this with a grace and persistence of a charging rhinoceros. Marlowe decides to stick with the guy having nothing better to do and as a result he keeps getting high level of entertainment, noir fashion: he gets shot at, people use his head for a drum set to knock him out, and tough guys try to beat the crap out of him. This is all without Marlowe having a real case, meaning he does not get a single dime for all the troubles. He gets a client and a case later, but it only means having even more and diverse noir-style entertainment.

Chandler's writing quality is high, as always. The stakes are much higher than in the previous book as Marlowe has to deal with fully corrupted police department in a coastal city among other things. Typical witty one-liners are thrown around aplenty, and so are very colorful description of people and places. This book is considered one of the greatest in noir with Philip Marlowe being the father of practically all PIs in literature after him for a reason. The rating is 5 stars for the high entertainment value, writing quality, and influence.

This review is a copy/pate of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/902032/corrupted-cops-murderers-blackmailers-drug-dealers-illegal-casinos-oh-my