Tuesdays at the Castle

Tuesdays at the Castle - Jessica Day George I need to mention I received this book from GoodReads giveaways.

Princess Celie is the youngest daughter of a royal couple who reside in Castle Glower. The latter is not a regular castle, but something which as Celie suspects possesses some intelligence. It is also grows by itself every Tuesday adding new rooms and making it very hard to navigate it (Hogwarts instantly comes to mind). Due to a series of seemingly unrelated unfortunate incidents, it is up to Celie and her slightly older siblings Rolf and Lilah to defend their castle and the kingdom from inside and outside threats.

It is a children book as and such it is an easy read. The writing style works very well for this genre. The three siblings I mentioned make good characters albeit not completely fleshed out, but once again it is a children book not a one with deep character study. I really like the castle itself, it felt mysterious and intriguing, but never gloomy or spooky.

On the other hand it looked to me like Lilah and Celia took somewhat passive resistance, but I do not see what else they could do considering their young age. At least Rolf was able to use some diplomacy and delay tactics to keep things from blowing up.

After everything said and done, it was an easy read worth 3.5 stars but unfortunately I do not feel it deserves a higher rating; I still have high hopes for the next books in the series.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/955051/a-charming-tale-for-children-which-leaves-a-feeling-of-being-there-done-that