The Dragon Never Sleeps
Progress: 23 %
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

Crossings - Robert Bruce Stewart Harry Reese is called in to investigate seemingly normal insurance claims with some very peculiar circumstances. An independent insurance broker always worked within a particular area except for two cases where he insured people outside of his usual place of operations. These two people in question died one after the other in unrelated accidents. Soon after this the broker committed a suicide. Do you think it is too much of a coincidence? So did Harry Reese's boss. So did his wife who promptly joins the investigations despite her husband's best efforts to prevent her from doing it. A complicated mystery and hilarity follow.

The book gives a very good picture of life in US (around New York) in the very beginning of the 20th century. I really felt I was transported into that time and place. The author really did his research to make everything come alive. The book also shows improvement over the first one in both mystery and humor departments. Speaking about latter, most of it comes from Harry's wife Emmie who gets more fleshed up this time around.

I was fairly sure I will rate the book with 4 stars until I hit the middle. At this point I realized that I still have no idea whatsoever about what is going on - but something most definitely did. The mystery alone was good enough for me to upgrade the rating to 5 stars. This leaves me with a question: what is the best book of the series so far? In regards to mystery this one is the best, if it is humor you are looking for, than the next one in the series has even more of it. I have really high hopes for the next (fourth) installment of the series and will most definitely buy it.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/935482/the-best-mystery-of-the-series