Magic Burns

Magic Burns - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels' occasional partner and shape-shifter Jim asks her to help him apprehend a mad arsonist. They got him, but a mysterious sniper kills the culprit right in front of their eyes. Kate starts looking for the guy and becomes tangled with a teen girl looking for her missing mom, bad-ass monsters from Celtic mythology coming to life, and magic flares which make shape-shifters struggle to keep their bestial part in check. Non-stop action ensures.

I found the writing quality is exactly the same as in the first book. If you like that one, you will like the second one as well. Once again most of the monsters, including the Celtic ones I mentioned are of non-mainstream variety which is good and welcome. The action parts were good and we finally get some initial glimpses and hints at Kate's origins.

My only complaint is about the Kate character herself. It seems to me she spent way too much time trying to push Curran around for no other purpose other than to see how far he can be pushed - this is at the time when the guy really had to keep a firm grip on his humanity because of the flares I mentioned above.

Other than this minor part I really have no problems with the book and its rating is exactly the same and for the first one: 3.5 stars. I rounded up the rating for the first book, so I round down the rating for this one to even it out.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/969517/the-writing-quality-is-exactly-on-the-same-level-as-in-the-first-book-of-the-series