The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

Magic Mourns

Magic Mourns - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels still recuperates from injuries she sustained during the last book and so nothing really exciting happens to her (almost nothing, but I am not going to spoil it). Enter Andrea Nash - her friend and a colleague from the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Where Kate is good with her sword Andrea is an expert at anything that shoots, including some really heavy weaponry. The story is told from her POV.

So Andrea was sitting in her office minding her own business when she received a phone call about a shape-shifter being hunted by a three-headed dog; she rushes to investigate only to realize the problem might be too big for her to solve alone.

What I like about the book is the new POV. It is interesting to get inside of Andrea's head and learn some of her background. There were also some other interesting and amusing parts. What I do not like is that the romantic part was a little bit too much. I read more about Andrea's feelings than I care to know about. I would be the first one to admit her childhood was not exactly a happy one and that she has some issues as a result, but still this short book failed at something previous full-length ones succeeded: to keep the romance part in check.

I would really like to mention one more personal nitpick. I really do not consider myself to be an expert on Greek mythology, but even with such limited knowledge as mine I would recognize what kind of a creature a three-headed dog is, instantly. Why the heck did heroes of the book spent practically half of it trying to find this out? It took them a phone call to Kate who referred them to a book on mythical creatures. I thought Cerberus was common knowledge.

Even with the problems above this is a solid 3 star read. It also contains a tiny, but very interesting POV at the end.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/983104/a-new-pov-is-good-but-there-is-more-romance-than-i-like-in-a-book-especially-this-short