Gene

Gene

Magic Bleeds

Magic Bleeds - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

Kate Daniels, an expert swordswoman works for the Order of Knights - an organization which solves magic problems. Kate does her solving part by chopping the given problem into small pieces with her sword appropriately called Slayer. When she is called to investigate a fight in a bar right on the border between two of the most powerful groups in Atlanta it seems like a regular assignment, only it turns out to be anything but. Kate also has a lot of personal problems at the moment which adds to the problem.

At this time I really have to apologize as I am about to get into a rambling mode, but in this instance I cannot help it. The author(s) mentioned it was a very difficult book for her (them?) to write. Guess what - it shows. To increase a page count (this was my impression) one of the most abused (if not the most abused) cliche of romance genre was invoked. Imagine the following situation: a girl and a guy have a date; the guy does not show up. What would a normal human being (the one from real life) do as the girl in question? Try to get in touch and see that the problem was. Dear girls, please do it; you will have plenty of time to get pissed off later if the guy turned out to be a jerk and just did not feel like going outside. There are some really good reasons for not coming, like being near death.

Why did I talk so much about the problem above? It took Kate exactly half of the book (I counted) to resolve this problem - by simply talking to Curran. Poor guy had a lot of broken bones which constitutes a very good excuse for not coming in my book. Why do I have to suffer through 150 pages of Kate's emotional turmoil by her own making entirely? Folks, this is the sole reason the book almost getting 2.5 star rating from me.

There are two minor reasons for an extra 0.5 of a star in the rating; taken individually they are not enough, but combined they are. The first one is the humor; while it presents in much lesser quantities considering Kate's dark emotions, it is still there. The second one is my general respect for the series; the monsters for the most part are not the standard variety, including the main villain. Speaking about the latter Kate could figure out his/her identity much earlier had she not been absorbed in her personal problems. Do not read the book's blurb as it gives the identity away.

All in all this is the most disappointing book of the series so far which barely made it into 3 star rating. My disappointment with it does not mean I will stop reading the series; I still consider it to be a minor stumble. Dear authors, it is not for me to give you an advice, but if you feel like the book is a struggle to write, stop and reconsider the whole work as it is quite possible you do something wrong and the end result might be underwhelming. I can think of a number of examples of these.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/994585/the-weakest-book-of-the-series-so-far-period