Magic Dreams

Magic Dreams - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

One of the most powerful groups in post-apocalyptic Atlanta is called Pack: shape-shifters ruled by iron hand of its leader, Curran. One of his right-hand people, also in charge of overall security is Jim who makes his appearance in practically every previous Kate Daniels book. During one of his security related investigations he stumbles upon a magic-related problem, so he has to ask his resident magician Dali for help.

Dali is an unusual character. She is a shape-shifter; her animal form is a white tiger. She is also vegetarian, near-sighted, and faints at the sight of blood. I repeat: she is a tiger. A vegan tiger, if such a thing is possible. A vegan tiger that is afraid of blood. As a side note, we discussed her problems with my buddy readers and came to a conclusion most of them come from the fact that you cannot feed a cat (no matter how large) with only stuff which grows from soil; cats are predators, and there is nothing can be done about it.

Jim and Dali always seemed to me very flat characters; Dali is more stereotypical comic relief than flat. I did not expect much from a story from Dali's POV and this is exactly what I got - not much. The story was OK, but the character did not have any additional dimensions for them. The romance between them was hinted at before, now it is clearly shown. The novella is short and a fast read, but nothing outstanding. Well, not exactly. For some reason I always expected for a Chinese dragon to make an appearance (I like them and they are not common guest stars in modern fantasy) in the series; it finally happened which brought some explosive results.

The final rating is unsurprisingly 3 stars: a good but completely forgettable read.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/1005618/the-flat-characters-from-the-main-plot-line-get-their-own-story-they-are-still-flat