Magic Slays

Magic Slays - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

Poor Kate Daniels opened a private investigation outfit quite a while ago, but the clients did not exactly form a huge line at her doors. In fact she did not have a single one yet. When her friend/enemy Ghastek asked her to deal with a vampire on the loose she jumped at the chance. Before she knew it, the little problem escalates into something much bigger. She now has to deal with pissed off police, her adopted niece Julie who disappeared, and accept a very questionable assignment from an elite guard unit called Red Guards. Kate's life became anything but boring.

In my opinion this was the second best book of the series after Magic Strikes. It has its own share of problems, but the positive parts overweight negative ones by far. The things I do not like include the following.

The authors missed a chance to show a very interesting battle with a bridge troll. We are shown Kate rushing in, the next scene start with a description of the aftermath. Was it the desire to keep the number of pages low which influenced this?

I realized I do not care about Julie. I understand that she is 15-year-old girl - and we all know what is means - but I do not find a single redeeming quality in her at all. I really could not care less what would happen to her. She is a failure as an interesting character.

The ending felt rushed and the resolution felt kind of on the easy side, but when you think about it, this was the most logical thing what would happen as the forces in the fight were nowhere near being equal.

In the good parts I liked the appearance of some very colorful characters from Slavic (Eastern Slavic?) folklore. I did not expect for Baba Yaga to appear the way she was described here, but let us call it artistic liberty.

The biggest reason for high rating was a moral of the story. The humanity created myths for as long as we can recall; some of them were very ingenious, some quite gruesome, some quite entertaining. Despite this, we - the humans - have yet to come up with a creature/monster/god/entity more dangerous than a bunch of fanatics in real life. Our collective imagination is not up to the task, simple as that. I said it was a moral, but at no point in the story this became preachy, or hammered relentlessly. Well done, dear authors!

The plot was entertaining and fast-moving. Everything taken together constitutes a solid 4-star rating.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/1013815/during-all-of-it-history-the-humans-could-not-come-up-with-scarier-monsters-than-real-life-fanatics