The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

An Apple for the Creature

An Apple for the Creature - Faith Hunter, Ilona Andrews, Nancy Holder, Steve Hockensmith, Donald Harstad, Toni L.P. Kelner, Marjorie M. Liu, Amber Benson, Thomas E. Sniegoski, Charlaine Harris, Rhys Bowen, Mike Carey, Jonathan Maberry Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

This review is for Ilona Andrews' Magic Tests only. I will update it after I read other short stories of the collection.

Kate Daniels' protégée Julie got kicked out of her last school, so now Kate needs to find another place of learning for Julie and somehow motivate her to actually stay there. Julie chooses a school at random from the list Kate did. She was not enthusiastic with a place until the principal mentioned that he can only accept her on the condition that she can find a missing girl within 24 hours. Not to be the one to back off a challenge Julie takes the assignment.

Let us face it; Julie is one of the weakest recurring characters in the series. Her sole purpose of existence so far was to give even more and bigger troubles to Kate who usually has more than enough of her own. This story is told from her POV and I hoped she will come up better. She did not. The only positive part was that this time she did not need Kate to get her out of trouble. The characters she meets at school are colorful, but practically all of them have exactly zero personality, or very stereotypical one.

On the positive side, the plot was interesting with quite unusual magical creatures making the appearance. The fast and easy read yields 3 stars for the rating.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/40051/review