Where There's a Will

Where There's a Will - Rex Stout, Dean Koontz Nero Wolfe's lifestyle takes up a lot of money. Sometimes he has to take some very questionable cases to sustain it. This time the money is running out so the great detective accepts a case of a type he usually avoids like a plague: a contest of a will left by a millionaire. The latter promised his three sisters and his wife big chunks of money, but after his death by accident it turned out he literally spit in the faces of them as he left a single fruit (you read it right: a real fruit) to each sister and some spare change for his wife with majority of money going to his mistress.

The sisters and the widow feel entitled to the millions they have not earned, so Nero Wolfe is on the job. Luckily (?) very soon the detective whose main area of interest is murders has to investigate one of those as well.

This is probably the first Nero Wolfe book without any single decent human being - not counting the detectives and other regulars. The amount of self-entitlement and greed practically made me throw up several times. The only bearable person was the granddaughter of the late millionaire, but she does not have a shadow of a chance to grow up into a normal human with her surroundings. I strongly suspect the author created such repulsive characters on purpose.

As I mentioned, I usually read a mystery hoping for a bad guy to be caught, further crimes prevented, and innocent lives to be saved. This time I really could not care less about what would happen to the whole bunch. The dynamic duo Wolfe/Goodwin saved the day - just like Batman and Robin usually do - and raise the book to the level of 4 star rating. As an additional bonus, Nero Wolfe does unthinkable and leaves his house for investigation; people familiar with the series know this simply does not happen at all.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/144730/review