Magic Rises

Magic Rises - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

Curran is made an offer he cannot refuse. To do so would be to give up his title of Beast Lord of Atlanta shapeshifters. It is obvious from the very beginning the offer is a trap, but the only option for him is to walk straight into it. And so the company of Atlanta shapeshifter heavyweights and Kate head to a Caucasian village for a glorified bodyguard job. Their main goal is to survive.

I really like this book. It firmly belongs to the category of "very hard to put down" with last 60 pages of it being really impossible to do so. I am fairly sure even a major natural disaster would not stop me from reading the conclusion.

The biggest part of the novel does not take place in the familiar post-apocalyptic Atlanta. This is good and bad at the same time. The good part about it is that it is refreshing and interesting to see how the rest of the world copes with magic wrecking mayhem everywhere. The bad part is the fact that only some of the familiar faces appear (granted, the most interesting ones). I still missed some of the regulars.

Speaking about characters: I cannot really discuss them to avoid giving spoilers, but the interactions between them are great (with one notable exception) and the new ones are interesting if literally crazy - most of them. One more thing I need to mention: Curran is even much bigger badass than I thought.

There were some minor annoyances which prevented me from giving this book full 5 stars, but it easily deserves 4.5 stars: highly recommended.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/17151/review