Magic Graves

Magic Graves - Ilona Andrews, Jeaniene Frost This is a review for Ilona Andrews' story only. I will update both the rating and the review after I finish the book.

A Questionable Client. A kick-ass mercenary Kate Daniels accepted a bodyguard assignment. The payment was unusually high which made Kate hesitant about taking the job, but it was also high enough for her to throw caution to the wind: as a result of the previous assignment she needed a new pair of good boots.

This short story is supposed to be an introduction for the series and as such it does an excellent job. It gives a very good picture of the post-apocalyptic world with its new laws of nature. It makes a very good introduction of the main heroine and gives enough hints and keeps enough mystery to make her character intriguing. It also shows another recurring character of the series, also very interesting if with some highly questionable sexual preferences.

All in all, a good story with its length being the only reason for 4 star rating as opposed to 5 stars: with some extremely rare exceptions I really cannot give a perfect rating to a short story.

I also need to mention the story is freely available from the authors' webpage. If you have not read the series yet and are curious about it (if you are not, you probably live under a rock), this story is highly recommended.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/33840/review