The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

Magic Breaks

Magic Breaks - Ilona Andrews Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

Curran had to go away because somebody set an extremely poor disguised trap for him (did anybody had any doubts it was a trap made to draw him away from the very beginning?). Now it is up to Kate to attend a meeting between the two most powerful groups in Atlanta: the People (the vampire masters) and the Pack (the Shapeshifters); Kate represents the latter. Once again, even a blind person with extreme mental deficiency would not smell another trap; well guess what: neither Kate not Pack's security main guy Jim did. As a result of things happened during the meeting Kate has only very limited time to stop all-out war between the groups above. By the way, a note for people who read the series: I consider Jim to be a failure as a security lead; he fails at this in every main book of the series, no exception.

My biggest grip with this book (and any other which have a similar problem) is: supposedly smart characters acting the way which put normal person with mental abilities of 3-year-old and above to shame. There is an info leak from the high level of Pack hierarchy. The culprit was obvious to me from the second page; according to my buddy readers they also figured it out using different logic which means there were several ways to arrive to the solution. Heck, the person in question was practically wearing a sign saying, "I am the culprit". My point is Kate and Jim did not see it. In my personal opinion the trope where authors make their characters temporarily stupid to keep the plot rolling is extremely lame. Boo!!!

The other - minor - problems with the novel I have include the following: the use of deux ex machina, some plot holes, and two very large plot threads left dangling at the end.

The only reason I gave this novel 3.5 stars is the first third of it. It one ignores the aforementioned stupidity; the rest of it is really funny, to the point that I rate just this part minus the latter with 5 easy stars. The moment the story became serious it started to go downhill.

Please do not get me wrong, I am judging this one too harsh. The only reason for such judgment is that the best books of the series raise the plank really high and this one does not have that quality. It is still a good book, but also very frustrating to read due to the problems I mentioned.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/17225/review