Gene

Gene

The Lady of the Lake

The Lady of the Lake - Karen Musser Nortman Frannie Shoemaker and the gang are visiting Old Dam Trail State Park which happened to be near the hometown for one of the company's woman Donna Nowak. Her brief stay with her foster parents was not happy, but the place is nice (and haunted by the Lady of the Lake according to the local legend) so she convinced the rest of the people to come. Where Frannie goes, murder usually follows and this time it is still the case, but the primary suspect is one of their own. Frannie to the rescue!

I found this book to be slower than what I usually expect from the series. To my complete surprise Frannie remains passive through most part of the book despite this time it is personal for her and this does not fit her at all. She just goes sightseeing, shopping and occasionally stumbles upon the clues by pure accident. In short the whole setup does not feel like usual meddling Scooby-Doo kids and it makes up for slow book.

On the positive side, the camping tips are very good and practical and quite a few of them can be applied for everyday life - not just camping. Another point about the series I always value high is that almost all of the recurring characters are past their retirement age. Old people are still people and they also have excitement in their lives as demonstrated by the merry gang, but there is no possibility of dreadful love triangles which leaves more space for interesting developments.

There was also some interesting information related to camping which I grew accustomed to expect from the series. This time I was fascinated to learn about real life Sisters on the Fly which seems to be a really cool group of women doing cool stuff.

3 very solid stars for the fourth installment of the series; will read the next book.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/1095930/review