The Accidental Demon Slayer

The Accidental Demon Slayer - Angie Fox Lizzie Brown grew up with adoptive parents and she never knew her real family. Thus she was very excited to learn that her grandmother found her and was about to pay her a visit. We all know the differences between expectations and reality:
Expectation vs. Reality
This time it turned out to be an extreme case. Her grandmother was a hardcore biker and a real witch to boot. The moment she showed up in Lizzie's apartment, the poor unsuspecting woman was able to understand what her dog says (the guy is hilarious at times) and an assassin demon made a guest appearance while trying to do his job, namely to kill the hostess. Needless to say, Lizzie's quiet and carefully planned life went straight to Hell - literally.

The character of Lizzie is the main reason the book worked. She possesses a healthy dose of irony and humor and her remarks and thoughts make me chuckled quite a few times. She also develops as a character and her development looks believable.

There is a romance in the book, but to my complete surprise it never got in the way of the plot.

There are also some very original ideas in the novel the likes of that I have not seen before. How is about a coven of witches which also happened to be a biker gang? How is about them using roadkills as their magic ingredients?

I mentioned the dog. His speeches were quite amusing in the beginning, but by the middle of the book he kind of faded into background and even when he spoke it was nothing interesting.

Now that I came to the book problems I can take the easy was out and just say that almost all of them could be eliminated by finding a good editor and listening to what he/she says. The writing style is rough at times. I found a couple of places where the flow of the story seems to break abruptly right in the middle of nowhere and picking up at a slightly different point - this is between paragraphs, not between chapters where is could work.

Repetitions: if I had one penny for every time Lizzie talks about feeling the skin warmth of her romantic interest, I would be able to retire right now with some money left for my heirs.

In the conclusion I say the book was amusing and fairly good for a freebie. I admit that sometimes I gave 3 stars to much better books, but this one was good enough for me to give this rating.