The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The Zebra-Striped Hearse

The Zebra-Striped Hearse - Ross Macdonald A wealthy guy hired Lew Archer to check on a background of his potential son-in-law. He is suspicions of the latter and would love to find some dirt on him. It also seems that he is the only one who does not like the guy; him and the readers as I did not see the soon groom-to-be as a nice person. Archer began digging only to uncover seemingly unrelated pile of dead bodies instead of any incriminating evidence.

The book was published in early sixties. I was curious and a little afraid to check how the genre of noir translated into this historical period; after all the common association of this genre is with late twenties and thirties (Philip Marlowe really does not feel like himself in forties). Just to refresh the memory of those who remember this and give some idea to those who were not born yet, this was the time associated with sunshine and surfing:
The hippies were about to make a first appearance.

The time changed and so did life, but some things remained the same and noir while changing a little survived the transition. This might not be the best of the series, but it is still quite good and well worth reading. My rating is 4 very solid stars.