The Dragon Never Sleeps
Progress: 3 %
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Wrath of the Bloodeye (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, Book 5)

Wrath of the Bloodeye (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, Book 5) - Joseph Delaney, Patrick  Arrasmith As we all know from the previous books Tom Ward is the seventh son of the seventh son which makes him an excellent Spook. A Spook is a person who fights the dark magical things using just the knowledge and wits - not a fair fight as you can imagine.

Anyway, after the events of the last book Tom's life is in danger. His master always wanted him to become an apprentice to another Spook for a while and after some boneheaded action by Tom in the beginning of the book this idea became a matter of Tom's well-being. So north he went to a former apprentice of his current master.

Speaking from the point of view of the following events it is entirely up to debate whether Tom was actually safer in there. His new master had his own ghosts to hide and a very Big Bad (with the capital letter) guy is after him as well as an assassin witch (yes, she is as badass and she sounds like).

I could only say that this is a very good book - any book which makes me exercise my willpower to put it down at night and get some sleep is a good one by definition. So what makes it such?

It is an easy read with good writing quality. It is spooky, but not over the top so. The people and most of the creatures do not strictly fall into black-and-white category instead of being different shades of gray - Tom's new master being the prime example.

While this installment does not quite reach 5 star perfection, it is an undisputed 4 stars. I took a long hiatus from reading the series and this novel made me question myself why I did this and why was I waiting so long to continue reading it.