The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy

Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy - Daniel Abraham, Robert Redick, Saladin Ahmed, K.J. Parker, Scott Lynch, Elizabeth Bear, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Ellen Klages, Jonathan Strahan, Jeffrey Ford, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, Ellen Kushner, Kate Elliott Please note: this review will be updated as I read more stories from the anthology.

So as I mentioned this is an anthology of short fantasy stories. The collection consists of the following:

Amethyst, Shadow, and Light by Saladin Ahmed.
An unusual pair of thieves was made an offer they could not refuse. They only needed to steal an artifact always guarded by powerful crazy sorcerers. Still, a choice between a certain death now and probable (very much) in the near future in the hands of said crazies is not really a choice.

It was solid 3.5 stars read: solid but been there, done that affair. The last couple of scenes while not exactly original were still quite unusual for traditional fantasy and were enough for me to round the rating up. I need to add I am not a big fan of Saladin Ahmed, but this story deserved a good rating.

Shaggy Dog Bridge: A Black Company Story by Glen Cook.
 The Black Company
The tale takes part between the second and the third books of the main series. A whole lot of familiar faces are back, including Darling, Lieutenant, Elmo, Silent, Otto, Hagop, Goblin, and One-Eye. The Company is on the run from their previous employers that are determined to obliterate the mercenaries from the face of the Earth. The expression "from frying pan into the fire" nicely describes the plot.

This was the reason I got my hands on this anthology. People familiar with my reviews know I love the series. The only catch is you need to be already familiar with the characters to fully enjoy the story. It starts a little confusingly, but quickly becomes interesting in the sense that it adds one more intriguing detail to the world-building. The rating is firm 4 stars - if you have read at least the first two books of the main series.

So the final rating for now is 4 stars which I will update later with review of more stories.